MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials that have attracted much attention lately, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in many fields. The following is a detailed introduction to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is actually a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material consisting of M, A, X elements on the periodic table, collectively called “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the main group elements, including aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, three of the elements of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Due to their electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, these are commonly used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding and other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is really a new form of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with all the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements using the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M means the transition metal, A refers to the main-group elements, and X means the components of C and/or N. The MXene material is really a graphene-like structure obtained from the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAX phases are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made from carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Applications of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the superb physical properties of MAX materials get them to have a wide range of applications in structural materials. For instance, Ti3SiC2 is a common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which may be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials can also be used in functional materials. As an example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and could be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Additionally, some MAX materials also provide better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties may be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which may be used in energy materials. For example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one from the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which bring a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What are MXene materials?
MXene materials are a new kind of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The surface of MXene materials can connect with more functional atoms and molecules, along with a high specific surface area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually range from the etching treatment of the MAX phase and the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties like electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics can be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials really are a new type of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials composed of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, including high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., along with good chemical stability and the cabability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and are commonly used in energy storage and conversion. For example, MXene materials can be used as electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Furthermore, MXene materials can also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to boost the action and stability in the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be used in electromagnetic protection. For example, MXene materials can be used electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, and other applications in electronic products and personal protection, boosting the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. For example, MXene materials can be used as gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which could realize high sensitivity and selectivity detection of gases. Furthermore, MXene materials may also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics along with other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Down the road, using the continuous progress of technology and science and also the increasing demand for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved. The subsequent aspects may become the main objective of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mostly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Down the road, new preparation technologies and techniques could be further explored to understand a far more efficient, energy-saving and environmentally friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is definitely high, however, there is still room for more optimization. In the future, the composition, structure, surface treatment as well as other aspects of the fabric could be studied and improved comprehensive to boost the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have been popular in lots of fields, but you can still find many potential application areas to become explored. Later on, they can be further expanded, including in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection as well as other fields.
To conclude, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in many fields. Using the continuous progress of technology and science and also the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.